****We have moved! Please visit our new blog: www.dreamadream.org/blog

Support Dream A Dream

Monday, May 18, 2009

Why you should run for a Dream


‘I came to know about Dream A Dream from Sattva, an e-zine to which my friend contributed. It was at an opportune time as I was scouting for an NGO working on either children’s or women’s issues, to volunteer the truck load of free time I had during weekends. While browsing through the Dream A Dream webpage, I saw the following quote:

One hundred years from now,
It will not matter,
What kind of house I lived in,
How much I had in my bank,
Nor what my clothes looked like,
One hundred years from now, It will not matter,
What kind of school I attended,
What kind of typewriter I used,
How large or small my church
But the world may be A little better
Because I was important in the life of a child.
-Author unknown

These lines made the decision for me. In retrospect, I realize that these lines have changed my life in a way no other piece of poetry has!

While I salute those people who provide vulnerable children with the basic amenities, what Dream A Dream does for these children is a step ahead – empowering them to make their tomorrows better. I can do a lot of things to make these children’s “today” worth living and I can do a lot to make the world a better place, but their “tomorrow” will be what they make of it. The life-skills that Dream A Dream is successfully imparting will go a long way in making them capable of standing on their own feet a few years from now.

During the induction program, Namrata mentioned that each one of us is what we are because of the exposures that we have had. The knowledge that every hour I spent with these kids went towards giving them an improved exposure to this wonderful, but often harsh world, kept bringing me back to these children. In fact, I was able to observe kids like Lokesh and Nagaraj visibly improve their confidence levels in just a few weeks – this gave me a feeling of success that few other projects have given!!


My experience with Dream A Dream has made me much more patient and accommodating than I was earlier. It also enabled me to discover my creative juices :D To meet a bunch of people from different walks of life, all working for the same cause, was overwhelming and inspiring at the same time. The vision and goals of Dream A Dream has made me a believer of social enterprise and business for the benefit of society!

In the end, Dream A Dream has given me an exposure that has taught me lessons which few others have…. and the learning continues....

For Dream A Dream to continue its work on empowering more and more vulnerable children, it needs the support of every kind hearted individual in this society. So please, loosen your purse strings so that you can tighten a child's hold on her dreams......


1. Make out a cheque to "Dream A Dream" and send it to Dream A Dream, 11/17, 3rd Cross, 1st Block, Near Ashoka Pillar, Jayanagar, Bangalore 560 011.
2. If you prefer to make your donation online, you can go to this payment page set up by Dream A Dream: http://www.bangalorecares.in/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=61&Itemid=70&name=dreamadreamDAD.
3. For pledges from abroad, you can use the DONATE link (set up by DaD marketing manager Sangitha K.) on the Dream A Dream blog www.dreamadreamcorner.blogspot.com. Funds will automatically be transferred to Dream A Dream
(Email the transaction id # after the donation process is completed so that we could do the tracking and the recording of your donations)

Anitha Alappat, Volunteer, LearnIT

No comments: