****We have moved! Please visit our new blog: www.dreamadream.org/blog

Support Dream A Dream

Thursday, November 13, 2008

Project of Life

On 6/11/2008, in the afternoon around 2:30pm I went to Round table school for an Udaan session. I have never conducted an Udaan session myself but today I did after just ½ hour of reading the Udaan book, 18th Chapter (Project of life). It was a really good topic and it was great to learn more about Future Projects ideas.

I went there at 2:30pm and found only 25 children present. Most of them were attending the Adventure camp and some children were running home. When the RTS staff rounded them up, I started the class with my introduction and what I was currently doing. Some of them said "Oh!! Very interesting" and 2 or 3 children introduced themselves as well.

After this I stared session with learning objectives. We, then, went into the following activities

a) Identifying past and current interests and achievements
b) Identifying future goals
c) Creating plans for reaching goals and
d) Identifying possible ways to adjust plans due to unanticipated events (this was optional)

This was a very interesting topic to discuss with the children. We discussed the topic and I started doing the activities myself (as listed above). It was such an amazing experience I cannot find the words to express it.

During the session I got one call that I had to attend. I asked the class for permission and then attended to the call.

When I came back, I asked them what they liked in the session and what they didn't like. One boy stood up and told me that he didn't like that I attended a call during the session. I asked why he felt that way and he said that it was an interesting class and suddenly that mobile sound made me feel disturbed. I apologized to that boy. (Team don’t receive call in front of the Children during session just for information)

The next feedback I got was about the activity of identifying a future goal. One of the children mentioned that in the case of his family, they may not send him to study in the 10th STD and now his project of life was to make sure he finished the 10th STD. Now that I know what my goal is, this summer I will definitely do well and show my parents that I have the confidence and they will agree to send me to the 10th STD. I appreciated his interesting feedback.

Suddenly a girl stood up and she showed her anger face to me and to her friends. I was shocked because I didn't know what happened and she stared to cry. It was already 4.30 and so I finished the session and I told her that I would talk to her after the session was over..

After we said our goodbyes, I spoke to that girl for 30 minutes.. I asked her why she got angry and why she cried. I wanted to know if it was something I said or did that hurt her. I apologized to her. She said "Pavithra aunty, just like that boy, her parents were also not going to send her to the 10th STD". She had the same problems in her house which is why she got emotional. I explained about some inspiring news to her. I told her that now that she learned that project of life she can apply that into her life. She said that within one week she was going to do that so that when I went back to the school next, she would have something to show me. I was thrilled to hear her words. It's amazing.

This is what happened in my first ever Udaan class. All I can say is "Super!"

First we should appreciate to Dream a Dream. How we are changing this community through our Programme. Once again Team says thanks to DAD and Team.

Pavithra K L, Program Support Staff
Dream A Dream

Udaan Life Skills is a life skills curriculum-based program, in partnership with Delhi based NGO, Youth Reach, currently serving older children and youth focussed on strengthening core personal competencies, learning about critical health issues, developing skills for successful employment and the power to address community problems. Over 250 children are part of this program on a weekly basis.

No comments: