****We have moved! Please visit our new blog: www.dreamadream.org/blog

Support Dream A Dream

Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Art, Art and more Dream Art with Holly Smith

My name is Holly Smith, I’m an international volunteer from England and have been here conducting the Dream CreativeArt Program since the start of October 2007. This is the first time I’ve lived away from home and have so far found it both challenging and rewarding. I feel really pleased that I was allocated a placement at Dream a Dream through the Gap year organization – Gap Guru. From the staff team to each and every child, I’ve been made to feel very welcome which has given me the confidence I’ve needed. The staffs at Dream a Dream have helped me to settle into life within the community in Bangalore, they are always on hand to explain Indian cultural differences and have introduced me to a variety of South Indian food.

Whilst I’ll be the first to admit I’m not the most creative of people the support I’ve been given from the team, especially Kiran, has enabled be to carry out really fun and enjoyable sessions for both myself and the children. Some of the sessions I have organized have involved trips to local markets to source resources needed. These trips have been an experience in themselves, trying to find the correct shop for coloured tissue paper or beads amongst the tiny overcrowded streets is difficult task!

All of the international volunteers at Dream a Dream are made to feel like part of the team from day one. Fun team building exercises have become part of the weekly routine. These help us all to become a stronger, more involved team.

The time I get to spend with the children is consistently the highlight of my day. Its hard work but thoroughly enjoyable. The children’s lives are so different from children in England, I find myself actually learning lots of things about life in India from the children. I am impressed by the level of some of the children’s English skills. During my time so far at Dream a Dream I have noticed an improvement in other children’s English too, ‘Please’ and ‘Thank you’ are now common place in the creative arts sessions. Traveling to sessions at Ananya has been made easier by a friendly rickshaw driver, who spends his time playing cricket with the children while waiting for us, the children look forward to seeing him too!

Using my digital camera I was able to photograph the children at Vishwas and have them developed, so that the children could make photograph frames. The children displayed their photographs in the main living area, so they could all enjoy them. This was my favourite task so far, I felt I had left something with the children that they really appreciated and could look back in future years. A wide variety of materials were used to make the frames; paint, foam, glitter, lollypop sticks, coloured pens and much more, although it was one of the more messy sessions, all of children seemed to thoroughly enjoy the session and the older children even asked if we could repeat the session with them as well.

A Venetian mask session at Sukrupa was also very successful, using brightly coloured feathers sent from the UK, glittery paper and sequins, the children created very beautiful individual masks. They then proudly left the session wearing their masks. During one trip to Sukrupa we were lucky enough to get to watch a rehearsal for their nativity play. This brought Christmas cheer to us all, so far away from our friends and family at this festive time of the year. Christmas cards are the order of the day in this week’s sessions; the children are very content with drawing and making up pictures for their cards.

I would love to have some volunteers to come and visit these sessions to see the wonderful work done by children and also to encourage them. If you are interested in joining the sessions, do mail me at hollsmail@aol.co.uk

I wish you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Holly Smith
International Volunteer
Dream Creative Art Program

No comments: